Name: Gem Turner-Lindley
Position: HoD/Teaching and Learning Team
5 Bits of Advice About: Teaching Islam
- Be sensitive when planning. Tasks and activities will need to take into account things such as, not depicting the prophet (pbuh) etc.
- Be prepared to defend it. You’ll get some students (and maybe parents) who will question it. Your need to defend the inclusion of all faiths in RS and challenge Islamaphobia.
- If a student is Muslim it doesn’t mean that they know a lot about Islam, or that what they know is theologically sound. Cultural is often confused with religion.
- Have a go-to person for any queries. An Imam/community member etc. Ruqayyah Maqsood is always happy to answer queries through her website – http://www.ruqaiyyah.karoo.net/
- Be a life-long learner. Have fun broadening your own knowledge whilst educating others! Victor Watton’s ‘Student Approach to Islam’ textbook is a great…
View original post 2 more words